Project Outreach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Lore Discussion

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

General Lore Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: General Lore Discussion

Post by pROvAK Mon 09 Jul 2012, 2:37 pm

Being able to harvest moon sugar, and create Skooma would be a great addition to Elsweyr. And if the Sugar is considered "holy" then that could make for some very interesting quests.
pROvAK
pROvAK
Head of Literature

https://projectoutreach.4umer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryu Hayabusa Mon 09 Jul 2012, 8:55 pm

I had certainly wanted to have the ability to harvest moon sugar. That would be a terrible thing to exclude. There would have to be an item needed to extract it that only clan-mothers can give you. (They are the only ones who know how to extract it after all.)
Ryu Hayabusa
Ryu Hayabusa
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Grimacier Sat 14 Jul 2012, 11:26 am

We can do something like that: if you have the tool used by the clan mothers, you can harvest moon sugar from sugar canes. If not, you harvest something else. So the player couldn't know how to find moon sugar until the clan mother give him the tool.

And don't forget the possibility to make skooma from moon sugar!
That would be cool to have this sort of shader working for MGE when you take skooma:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Le Grimacier
Le Grimacier
Head of Lore

Back to top Go down

Post by pROvAK Sun 15 Jul 2012, 4:42 pm

expanding alchemy will be an excellent new thing.
pROvAK
pROvAK
Head of Literature

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Grimacier Sun 05 Aug 2012, 2:21 pm

In Morrowind there are smugglers, so I suggest that in Elsweyr there are [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] who made drinks (skooma?) from moon sugar. ( There is even the word "moon"! Smile ) The most of them will probably be independants but it could have a faction of drug dealers too, ruled by Ya'Tirrje, the Gold Cat, from his luxurious villa in Senchal.
Le Grimacier
Le Grimacier
Head of Lore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryu Hayabusa Sun 05 Aug 2012, 8:43 pm

That is excellent. That would be great. Should they be hostile (the ones outside of the villa) or tolerant towards the player?

Maybe they could be hostile due to their illegal nature.
Ryu Hayabusa
Ryu Hayabusa
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Grimacier Mon 06 Aug 2012, 5:37 pm

I think they should be as hostile as the smugglers of Morrowind are. They have spend a lot of time and energy to make their skooma. They don't want the first stranger steals it. Wink I think they could have a huge alembic in their hideout.

For the faction ruled by Ya'Tirrje, it could have bases in other cities (at least Torval, Rimmen and Corinthe which are mentionned in lore) and factories hidden in the land. It could look like the Camonna Tong and its ennemy could be the Imperial Legion who whant to stop them to export in the whole Empire.
It is written the Gold Cat is paying for the security in Senchal. The local militia could be part of his faction too.
Le Grimacier
Le Grimacier
Head of Lore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryu Hayabusa Mon 06 Aug 2012, 7:35 pm

True.
Ryu Hayabusa
Ryu Hayabusa
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Grimacier Tue 28 Aug 2012, 1:51 pm

Just found an article:
Some interesting lore about the 2nd Era, Elsweyr (but not only) and the meaning of the alliances.
Le Grimacier
Le Grimacier
Head of Lore

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Grimacier Tue 16 Oct 2012, 2:42 pm

I've just have an idea about a new sort of character: the narcomancer. It's a new type of mage related to drugs, moon-sugar and dreams. It could be an unique character or a common enemy because the narcomancer could be used as spiritual guide but also as something like a dream-stealer or shaman. He could go and help the player to go into dreams or steal them, sell them and he could bring nightmares or visions. He could also be influenced by Dagoth Ur during the main quest of Morrowind (if the player come to Elsweyr before ending it).
In game, he could have illusion skills and summon creatures that could be considered as hallucinations. He could loot drugs and other special alchemical ingredients.

It's not very lore-breaker and could fit the Elsweyr background but I'm hesitating to add something so new even if we could explain it's specific to Elsweyr.
Le Grimacier
Le Grimacier
Head of Lore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryu Hayabusa Thu 18 Oct 2012, 5:57 pm

It could be a special mage who has developed a special connection with his moon sugar. He could be able to summon the magics of the moon sugar. Maybe the creatures he summons only damage your willpower or something? Since they are mainly hallucinations? It would be very cool.
Ryu Hayabusa
Ryu Hayabusa
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Grimacier Tue 23 Oct 2012, 6:09 pm

I think the narcomancer could use the moon-sugar (or other drugs) to go into a trance and distort the reality to make the dream comes true. The narcomancer's lair could have a dark and thick atmosphere with incenses and smoking braseros. You could also find a shrine of Vaermina or Sheggorath. In some place, there could be also "false" NPCs. You can speak to them but when you hit them, they disappear. It could be dreaming characters that the narcomancer have trapped or illusions created to confuse you. A quest could be to find a "dreaming" character and free him from the narcomancer so he could wake up.

Yes to Damage Willpower. Hallucinations could also drain Fatigue (like the 6th House) or Magicka and inflict weaknesses and/or diseases (because when the mind is weak, the body become weak too).
They could have a capacity of dissipation (instead of reflection as the creatures in Tribunal and Bloodmoon have) and a Sanctuary effect so it is as if the player could miss them because they don't exist.

Variety is good so I think Narcomancers could summon different creatures:
Shadow is the weakest,
Hallucination comes after,
And finally the Nightmare.
But I have no idea what they could look like...
Le Grimacier
Le Grimacier
Head of Lore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryu Hayabusa Thu 25 Oct 2012, 4:13 am

Perhaps some of the False NPC's could disappear when the player gets within a certain distance. I loved those occurrences in Arktwend where ghosts or entities would come at you and disperse. Perhaps Some NPC's can be seen and approached, but disappear when you draw too close?
I like the Idea for dreaming characters as well. Sounds legitimate. Perhaps Narcomancers have to eternally entrance a subject to do certain things to them.

As for the creatures Narcomancers could summon, I love your tiers. I would believe the Shadow could Damage only your Willpower while the Hallucination can also damage your fatigue. I would think the Nightmare could literally hurt you since people do die from nightmares. Besides, some nightmares are actually paranormal occurrences. I think each one could have different appearances as well. I would think that including permanent Hallucination summons in lairs could lead to complications if there is no way to defeat them other than waiting for the summon to end. These creatures would be very complicated if we wanted to have a way to defeat them. So I would imagine we want to keep them as temporary summons only? No permanent summons?

As for their appearances, we can make them all humanoid with different appearances, or they could all be differing types of creatures. If humanoid, the shadow could be dark and translucent while a Hallucination could be normal-looking. A Nightmare could have glowing eyes and be a terrifying looking humanoid creature. If they are to be differing creatures, a shadow could be like described above, or even just a floating dark ghostly figure. A Hallucination could be any creature that is commonly mistaken. A Nightmare would need to be scary looking. Perhaps something like a dark and evil Daedroth.

What do you think?
Ryu Hayabusa
Ryu Hayabusa
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Grimacier Thu 25 Oct 2012, 6:02 pm

Because the limitations of the engine, special summons have to be scripted so every narcomancer should have to be scripted if we do temporary summons. If the creatures are permanents, they shouldn't be impossible to kill (the sanctuary effect was just an idea) but they should be also scripted to disappear at death to simulate the banishment. It won't be logic the player could loot them! Unless we suppose they become real by the narcomancer's magic.

Shadow could look like a floating ball of particles. Like an evil smoke or a dark will-o-the-wisp.
Hallucination could look like a translucent and twisted human form. Something very disturbing like in Silent Hill. With no face!
And the Nightmare could be something a la Lovecraft. A sort of squid with many eyes and tentacles. cyclops

If the creatures are permanents, player could have to deal with them to reach the narcomancer. Shadows could be weak but fast, hallucination could be slow but stronger and the nightmare could be stuck and come out from the ground when the player is near, like a living trap. Narcomancers'lair will have a very creepy atmosphere! pale
Le Grimacier
Le Grimacier
Head of Lore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryu Hayabusa Thu 25 Oct 2012, 7:45 pm

Perhaps the anomalies have low health and disappear when they die? It would negate the need for extreme scripting of temporary summons.

As for the nightmare, I would imagine something that acts like a trap is perfect. Like you said, a creature that waits until you get near to move would make sense. Real nightmares are unpredictable. I personally think a squid creature isn't really scary. Unless it has unusual qualities. A nightmare would need to be something as scary as your first encounter with those freaky demonic looking things in Arktwend. You know those red/black clad things in daedric armor and a cape with claws? If we can make something looks as scary as that, the nightmare will be a success. It doesn't have to be a claw wielding demon thing like Arktwend, it just needs to scare the player at first.
Ryu Hayabusa
Ryu Hayabusa
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Grimacier Tue 30 Oct 2012, 3:32 pm

I think they should have normal health. It won't be interesting if the player doesn't have a challenge when beating them. Sadly, creatures can't disappear at death without scripting.
But, in fact, it's not really a problem. Razz Remember about the standard daedras. They don't disappear when they are killed. So the anomalies could loot something, like a dream salt.

I don't like the idea of demonic beings. They are too similar to daedras. And the nightmare should have a shape that explain why it don't move.
Not really a squid but something slimy and elastic with many eyes and tentacles or which can change of shape. I could even used billboard sphere for eyes so it always look at the player. affraid
With correct animations, the creature could look like a sort of mushroom stuck in the ground and sprouts suddenly when the player approaches. It could have a paralyze spell so it will use it at the first strike. The player will have to be careful, even more if we do mushrooms that look like a nightmare. Twisted Evil
Le Grimacier
Le Grimacier
Head of Lore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryu Hayabusa Wed 31 Oct 2012, 3:04 am

I wasn't suggesting demonic beings, just something scary. If the player is more afraid of a Hallucination than a Nightmare, we have a problem. I just think the nightmare should be a thought in the back of the player's mind.

They'll be thinking: "Is that weird thing over there really a plant or is it a nightmare?"

An immobile being should also be perfectly still when the player is far enough away. Perhaps just a still idle animation. When they player nears, some sound, definitely startling, could signal the nightmare's impending attack.
Ryu Hayabusa
Ryu Hayabusa
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pROvAK Wed 31 Oct 2012, 3:14 am

So it's a sort of psychological fear, like in F.E.A.R, always wondering. That would be new to Morrowind, and a welcome new.
pROvAK
pROvAK
Head of Literature

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Grimacier Fri 02 Nov 2012, 6:26 pm

Elsweyr isn't only dangerous for the body but also for the mind!
Le Grimacier
Le Grimacier
Head of Lore

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Grimacier Tue 05 Feb 2013, 3:09 pm

Looking at the official forum, I've just realized that the part concerning the Pocket Guide 2nd Edition wasn't wrote by Kirkbride. No
The writer is Temple Zero and I don't know who is he. His only posts are concerning the PGE 2nd.
I found a site where there are lore buffs and it is maybe connected:
That means that the text could be lore-correct (for what we know of Elsweyr) but shouldn't be considered as canon.

However the text is very interesting and Elsweyr is mysterious enough for we could do anything we want while remaining in the lore.
Le Grimacier
Le Grimacier
Head of Lore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryu Hayabusa Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:04 am

Being as lacking in lore as it is, we do have a good bit of freedom with these things.

As for TESO, I think we can safely...ignore a couple of minor things if they are against us. Lore always changes ever so slightly... Twisted Evil
Ryu Hayabusa
Ryu Hayabusa
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Grimacier Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:16 pm

It's always a transcription error... Razz
Le Grimacier
Le Grimacier
Head of Lore

Back to top Go down